EUGENE, Ore. -- The No. 32 Women of Troy fell 4-3 in a tight match to the No. 35 Oregon Ducks on Sunday (March 19) in Eugene, Ore. With the loss, the Trojans drop to 4-7 overall on the season and 0-3 in Pac-12 Conference play.
The afternoon kicked off with doubles where Oregon made their first move as Duck duo Clark/Rose defeated USC’s Kulikov/Van Alphen 6-4 on court three. Oregon would claim the doubles point as Eshet/Kluiving secured their match by beating the No. 21 Trojan tandem of Katz/Smith 6-4 on court two.
The Ducks entered the singles portion of the competition with a 1-0 advantage. The Ducks would strike again as Marlou Kluiving defeated USC’s Angela Kulikov 6-4, 6-1 on court six. Trojan Rianna Valdes would give the Women of Troy their first win of the day as she topped Oregon’s Nia Rose 6-2, 6-4. The momentum looked as if it was swinging back in favor of the Trojans as USC’s No. 113 Madison Westby nabbed a victory over Oregon’s Daniela Nasser 7-6 (3), 6-2. Westby’s win tied up the overall match score at 2-2 and broke Westby's three match losing streak.
Trojan No. 25 Gabby Smith notched another point for Troy as she was victorious over Duck Shweta Sangwan 7-6 (3), 6-3 to give USC their first lead of the match at 3-2.
After a close 7-6 (2) loss in the first set to Oregon’s Julia Eshet, Trojan No. 88 Zoë Katz came back swinging to take the second set 6-2. After battling it out, Eshet would overcome Katz to take the third set 6-4.
The match came down to the outcome of court two, which was locked in a nail biter of competition. USC’s No. 38 Jessica Failla dropped the first set 6-4 to Oregon’s Alyssa Tobita, but never lost her fire as she fought on in true Trojan form to win the second set 7-6 (6). The match was taken to a decisive third set, where Tobita overcame Failla to take the set 6-4 and win the match for the Ducks.
USC’s next action brings them back to Los Angeles where they will defend their home court as Loyola Marymount pays a visit to Marks Stadium on Wednesday (March 22) at 3 p.m. PT.
#35 Oregon 4, #32 USC 3
March 19, 2017 - Student Tennis Center (Eugene, Ore.)
(1) Valdes/Westby (USC) vs. Sangwan/Tobita (UO) - unfinished
(2) Eshet/Kluving (UO) def. #21 Katz/Smith (USC)- 6-4
(3) Clark/Rose (UO) def. Kulikov/Van Alphen (USC) - 6-4
Oregon wins doubles point.
Order of finish: 3, 2
(1) #25 Gabby Smith (USC) def. Shweta Sangwan (UO) - 7-6 (3), 6-3
(2) Alyssa Tobita (UO) def. #38 Jessica Failla (USC) - 6-4, 6-7 (6), 6-4
(3) Rianna Valdes (USC) def. Nia Rose (UO) - 6-2, 6-4
(4) Julia Eshetl (UO) def. #88 Zoë Katz (USC) - 7-6 (20, 2-6, 6-4
(5) #113 Madison Westby (USC) def. Daniela Nasser (UO) - 7-6 (3), 6-2
(6) Marlou Kluiving (UO) def. Angela Kulikov (USC) - 6-4, 6-1
Order of finish: 6, 3, 5, 1, 4, 2